15 June 2012

Ready to Hit the Road Again

We left beautiful Patagonia AZ and moved up to Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson to await the arrival of my sister and brother-in-law from FL in their RV.  They are planning on traveling with us some this summer.  Davis-Monthan AFB has a great Famcamp and we enjoy our stays there.  Spots are well spaced and management is consistent in implementing the rules and always friendly and helpful.  No wonder they win awards every year!

Also at Davis-Monthan is a well arranged and maintained air park with warbirds on display from bygone years. I frequently walk through the airpark on my daily walk and enjoy it every time.  Of course seeing warbirds I worked on being classified as "heritage" makes me wonder what I am!!

Whenever I see a B-52 I always send a pic to Frank Beck my AF buddy to verify it is one of his girl friends that he flew.  He always likes to know their status and reports back when and where he flew with her.
#0659 one of Frank's girlfriends

Undergoing some routine maintenance in Mar 2012



























I enjoyed visiting with her and updating her on Frank's current location and status when ever we are at Davis Monthan.  In Nov 2011 she was doing great, in March when I first saw her from afar she didn't quite look right, but when I got close I determined she was undergoing some routine maintanance and her tall tail was laying on the ground - no wonder she didn't look "right" from afar.  Her tall distinctive tail was laying on the ground!  How demoralizing can that be

A tailless #0659!!
Well when we returned to Davis-Monthan in late May I found she had been abducted! Gone! All traces of her beautiful body were removed probably by some nefarious crew working under covert conditions.  I reported it to Frank and he took appropriate actions.  We will get to the bottom of this crime!
#0659's former place of honor - even her name has been stripped from the plague!

Here are some of her friends that are mourning her loss, but proudly carry on the tradition of warbirds on display!
F-4 proudly displaying the stars of MIG's she shot down!

F-105, a workhorse over North Vietnam

A-10, the dreaded tank killer of  desert combat

C-130, it just keeps on hauling!

OV-10, a FAC of Vietnam era



































































So Marla & Al arrived and we spent  a few days wrapping up affairs at Davis-Monthan and we hit the road headed north.  Our first night was going to be in Flagstaff and then on to Moab, UT to see Arches and Canyonland National Parks.
The family caravan formed up behind the Wagon Mistresses, BJ & Marla. 

Always at home, no matter where we are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment