22 July 2013

Today We Had a Special Privilege

We are preparing to leave Naval Station Mayport later today, glad to be on the road at last.  I was sitting here with my back to the front of the RV and I heard an unusually loud ship's horn. The first time I sort of ignored it and went on with what I was doing, but then it bellowed out again and I had to turn to see what it was!

What a glorious sight I beheld - the shore line was filled with people with their American flags of all sizes and waving vigorously at one of the US Navy ships that was outbound from the base.  Now, ships come and go without all this hoopla several times a week from this busy Navy base.  But, today was special!

It was one of the guided missile cruisers and it was obviously headed out on deployment.  The Sailors on board were in dress whites and lining the ships railings while family and friends on the shore were waving and wishing them well on their mission in defense of this great country!

I grabbed the closest camera I could find and only got two pics that do not do this event justice, but are better then nothing! I wish I had been better prepared.  It was inspiring to see and I am privileged to have watched it.

I know we all wish them Godspeed and a safe mission and return to their loved ones!
Guided Missile Cruiser from NS Mayport

Wishing for a safe mission and speedy return!































Always at home, no matter where we are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment