31 May 2011

NWS Earle, NJ - WOW!

We sort of happened upon this base in northern NJ when we were looking for a place to rest for several days before going to Newport RI and all the energy and activity the Girls require!  The base is large in land area but not big personnel wise.  It has plenty of igloos for storing munitions, something I can understand!
Here is what those Navy 2000 pound shells look like before it reaches its destination.  Don't think the Navy has ships that fire shells this big anymore.
The RV park is small, about 20 spaces, but nicely arranged and only had about 6 RV's in it while we were there; all had FL tags except one.  The MWR staff was exceptionally helpful and we enjoyed our stay.  I got some nice carving in on my T-12 Roadester and it helped me build some confidence and skill.  The inclines were long, but gradual so I got a good workout without getting frustrated by having to get off and walk.  My deathgrip on the handlebars is getting looser and I am remembering to stand-up and keep my arms straight as I climb the inclines. 

We toured some of the area including Ft Monmouth, about 20 miles away.  It is scheduled to close soon under the last BRAC.  The PX was closing a few days after we were there.  The Commissary looked like it might be staying open; there was not one on NWS Earle. 

We left there Fri AM at 0800 for Newport RI about 240 miles away through NY City.  Got off to a bad start when I turned south on a limited access highway immediately outside the base.  It took an hour and 20 miles of wondering thru the small towns around the base to get back on the road in the right direction. 

About an hour + later we hit the NY City traffic.  I figured everyone ought to drive an RV through NY City once!  Things were not going too bad, we were in a traffic jam/parking lot approaching the George Washington Bridge for about an hour, but traffic was moving, just very slowly.  Then I got a leg cramp and despite my best efforts I could not stay behind the wheel!  Fortunately, in the jam BJ and I could switch places safely and quickly.  She did a magnificent job of driving through the City.  And, I worked most of the time on getting rid of the cramp.  Once we got across the bridge, traffic picked up fairly quickly; roads were very rough though, I expect it is the winter wear and tear.

Once we got to the CT boarder and shortly thereafter the Welcome Station we stopped and I took back over the driving.  It was about 120 miles across CT then we entered RI.  We followed a SR to Newport and came in from the east.  Several scenic bridge crossings on that route.  We arrived at the Melville Pond Campground about 1630 and were ready for a drink and some relaxation.  But, first things first.  The Girls arrived shortly afterward to welcome us and that took priority.

BJ and the Girls!
We have been here a few days and are enjoying it, even if it is too cold!!  It is foggy in the AM and sun does not come out until 1400 it seems.  But, we are enjoying time with the Girls and exploring some new territory.  Last time we were here was 35+ years ago to attend  friends' wedding in the middle of the winter.  All we remember is snow!!

More reports to follow soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment